Day In a Page
Sunday, 16 March 2014
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
UK RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Metropolitan police strip searched thousands of children in five years
- Britain’s five richest families worth as much as poorest 20 per cent, says Oxfam
- The 'black spider' letters: Dear Prince Charles, opinions are for abdicators
- Oxford English Dictionary new words for March 2014 include c**ted, beatboxer and bestie
- Famous flood car to sell on eBay – ‘obviously NOT in working condition’, owner says
- Radical plan to break up English Heritage ‘rushed’ and ‘not viable’
- UK weather: More spring sun in the south - but forecasters warn Britain to enjoy it while it lasts
- First garden city in almost 100 years to be built in Ebbsfleet, confirms Chancellor George Osborne
- Woman dies after falling from car park near Millennium Stadium in Cardiff city centre
- Ten more commandments: How to save the Anglican church
- HS2 fast-tracked to put the North first by Sir David Higgins - and to start as soon as possible
- Scottish independence: With six months to go, can Alex Salmond's plans pass the five tests of roadworthiness?
- The Budget: George Osborne to put growth ahead of ‘green crap’
- The Budget 2014: Balls to Osborne - I trust you with my son, but not the British economy as opponents hold brief backstage truce
- Fury at delayed law for families of the missing
- Scottish independence: Alex Salmond accuses Westminster's 'daytrippers' of 'scaremongering'
- Prominent Tory Europhile Kenneth Clarke insists that most Conservative ministers want Britain in the EU
- Andy McSmith's Diary: Rupert Murdoch takes on the gay 'bullies' over Guinness boycott of New York Saint Patrick's Day parade
- Government employment website Universal Jobmatch 'bedevilled with fraud'
- By George, English should fly the flag and take pride on 23 April, says Ed Miliband adviser
- HS2 rail link: Vince Cable says there is 'compelling case' for the high-speed line
- David Cameron has abandoned the North, says Labour vice chairman
- Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
- Cameron/Clegg Rose Garden love-in was 'sickening', says Lib Dem adviser Julia Goldsworthy
- Ed Balls’ view is that Wayne Rooney’s worth his £300,000 a week
- Britain's prison overcrowding crisis surges 'close to the brink'
- Domenico Rancadore: Sicilian Mafia boss dubbed 'The Professor' can stay in London after winning extradition battle
- Police search for man who robbed bank with handwritten note
- Harold Shipman victims probe to investigate whether Manchester police ‘misled’ families over human remains
- Hacking trial: My sources included Royal Family members, says former NOTW journalist Clive Goodman
World RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Crimea crisis: Obama targets sanctions at Vladimir Putin’s inner circle after independence vote but Russia moves towards annexation
- Crimea crisis: Foreign leaders condemn ‘Russia’s destabilising actions’ as 93% vote in referendum for secession
- Saint Patrick's Day: Google Doodle marks patron saint of Ireland - here are 10 things you didn't know about the man
- Ukraine crisis: The last days of a united nation
- Even the time changes as Crimeans digest first day under Russian rule
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea tensions escalate as US and EU impose sanctions on Russia
- An odd day in Paris: French capital bans even-numbered vehicles for one day to reduce air pollution
- State television presenter warns Russia could 'turn the US into radioactive dust'
- Barack Obama threatens Russia with sanctions after Crimea referendum
- Crimea’s Russian Union: What happens next?
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote to leave Ukraine and join Russia in contentious referendum
- Paris bans half of all cars over air pollution fears
- From the Grand Canal to Juliet's balcony, a 'Yes' from Veneto to cutting ties with Rome can blaze a trial for Scotland
- Serbia elections: Landslide victory for ruling centre-right political party
- Mother pretended her son had cancer and spent charity money on Disneyland trip
- Saint Patrick's Day parade boycotted by Boston's Mayor Marty Walsh over exclusion of LGBT float
- Venezuelan National Guard occupy plaza in Caracas after anti-government protests
- Marijuana study in war veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder wins US backing
- California hit by 4.4 magnitude earthquake
- ‘God protected it’: Bible discovered in rubble of East Harlem church destroyed in New York explosion
- A fistful of sand dollars: Ancient molluscs and 'two-million-year-old sea lion's mouth' found in Hollywood’s fossil treasure trove
- Fred Phelps, founder of ‘God Hates Fags’ Westboro Baptist Church, is ‘on edge of death’
- Saint Patrick's Day 2014: Chicago River turns green
- ‘So my plane just crashed’: Philadelphia plane crash selfie goes viral
- California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- Stranded in Pakistan – after Theresa May revoked his passport
- As Nato quits Afghanistan, new violence threatens the country's presidential election
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Piracy, suicide, terrorism - the theories so far
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Confusion deepens over ‘missing 30 minutes’ at heart of mystery engulfing stricken jet
- Holi: Forget Saint Patrick's Day! Google India celebrates festival with multicoloured doodle
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Five-a-side football and DIY videos reveal ordinary lives of flight crew Zaharie Shah and Fariq Hamid
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- Einstein MC King Skunk embodies the new spirit of Burma
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A: How could something just disappear?
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Police search homes of pilots Zaharie Shah and Fariq Hamid
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Hijackers, pirates or suicide – the theories surrounding the mystery
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: 'Daddy went away and he got lost...' - Relatives of the 239 passengers speak of their anguish
- FGM, Clitoraid and The Pleasure Hospital: US sect the Raëlians’ quest to ‘restore’ women scarred by female genital mutilation in Burkina Faso
- The trial next door: Oscar Pistorius gets the headlines, but what about Thato Kutumela?
- US Navy Seals board and capture North Korea's rogue Morning Glory oil tanker which had illegally loaded up at rebel-held port in Libya
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Paralympian's firearms test shows athlete knew shooting at unseen target was 'illegal'
- Abuse claims rife as Egypt admits jailing 16,000 Islamists in eight months
Business RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Alibaba to raise up to $15bn in world’s biggest float
- Help to Buy four-year extension buoys housebuilders
- Soaring confidence attributed to Bank's guidance on interest rates
- Crack team to scrutinise Whitehall contractors
- Another day, another government IT cock-up as minister admits writing off MoD's £46m anti-hacking system
- Morrisons employee arrested over supermarket data theft
- Just Eat joins London IPO rush with £100m float
People RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- L'Wren Scott dead: Fashion designer and Mick Jagger's girlfriend 'found hanged' in NYC
- Scarlett Johansson calls comments on Woody Allen abuse claims 'guesswork'
- Beyoncé's bolthole investigated: Is billionaire Noam Gottesman’s helipad in Burley estate even legal?
- 'We couldn't wash. We were harassed. We had no sleep... it was unbearable': The father of '12 Years a Slave' Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong'o speaks for the first time about his own treatment in Kenya
- L'Wren Scott dead: Mick Jagger's ex-wife Bianca Jagger leads tributes to the fashion designer found dead aged 49
- Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Watson merged to create 'internet goddess'
- Wayne Knight not dead: Seinfeld actor tweets to refute death hoax rumours
- Kate Moss turns music journalist to review friend George Michael's new album
- Clarissa Dickson Wright dies: Two Fat Ladies star passes away aged 66, her agency confirms
- Missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Rupert Murdoch’s Twitter conspiracy theories are bizarre
- Madonna dressed up as Game of Thrones' Daenerys Targaryen
- Saint Patrick's Day: 15 famous people you never knew were Irish
- Dr Clive Peedell: 'If we can catch public anger, we can win seats'
- Lord Allen: Putting an obsessive attitude to work – and making it pay
- This is England, Broadchurch and now Line of Duty - how does Vicky McClure keep her feet on the ground?
- Victoria Derbyshire: The BBC radio presenter on snobbery at work, favela guns and the joy of bargain-hunting at 6am
- How we met: Matthew Wright & Dave Brock - 'They had their honeymoon at our festival; Matt and his wife stayed in a tepee'
Science RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Media RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Education RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Al-Qa’ida, the second act: Is Saudi Arabia regretting its support for terrorism?
- On the march with Assad’s army: ‘Unusually, the Syrian army took rebel prisoners. Ominously, I saw none’
- Nature Studies: Spring is a time for celebration. And nothing captures the mood quite like blossom
- Grace Dent: If this really is terrorism – and the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is not found – then this is a new level of terrifying
- Politicians have stopped teaching. We can’t be surprised that voters are not enthused
- In praise of smog: Why the fumes over Paris and Beijing can be secretly, cautiously celebrated
- Virginia Ironside's Dilemmas: Now we're sober, they're not fun to be around
- The return of the plague: We need to act now to prevent tuberculosis from wreaking more havoc
- Grace Dent: George Osborne's on the 5:2 diet. Let's hope he isn't making Budget decisions when he's really, really hungry
- Why I'd never picket a funeral - even one of somebody as loathsome as Fred Phelps
- RIP Clarissa Dickson Wright - what a lady
- Let those involved in porn speak for themselves
- Stop Porn Culture: Those who watch modern porn are becoming increasingly desensitised
- Our lazy and ignorant overuse of a handful of words: Discuss swear words in school and diminish their shock value
- Does Osborne really understand what it takes to build a successful Garden City?
- Yasmin Alibhai-Brown: With Britain becoming ever more unequal, we need the likes of Tony Benn and Bob Crow more than ever
- HS2 will be expensive and destructive – but it is the only way to revitalise Britain's railways
- i Editor's Letter: The Impending Budget
- Can you ever justify a £1million salary?
- Gove going rogue and a new slimline Osborne can only mean one thing: the War of the Tory Succession is hotting up
- The Only Way is Ethics: Why is a gay sexual assault different from any other kind? Quite simply, it isn’t
- Al-Qa’ida, the second act: Why the global 'war on terror' went wrong
- Time to end ‘canned hunting’ of lions: it's nothing more than a violent recreational activity for wealthy, bored individuals
- Bankers don’t deserve their bonuses. They should be taxed and the money used to help our struggling young people
- Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- Budget must not slow Britain's eco progress
- In tomorrow’s Budget, George Osborne should prioritise the poor, avoid gimmickry and move to rebalance growth
- The case for Scottish independence remains weak
- Reform of the ineffectual IPCC is long overdue
- Putin’s Crimean land-grab does not presage a return of the Soviet empire but will shut Russia out of Ukraine
- Ukraine crisis: Is the West trying to upset the Russians?
- George Osborne's on the up, but there's a flaw in his plan
- The club so powerful no one admits to having joined
- Three years after Gaddafi, Libya is imploding into chaos and violence
- Joe McGinniss, a master of reportage, whatever the cost
- Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
- Banning the word "bossy" is wrong
- Hollywood's search for a new star, redemption for an old one, tipping tips and drug money
- The end of China's boom need not trigger a bust
- The kindness of strangers: a highly charged issue
- From VIP guest to abused idiot, it's a short hop
- Harriet Walker: Karl Lagerfeld's Kash-and-Karry at Chanel's Paris show brought out the worst in fashion magpies
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- World Twenty20: Irish celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day with last-ball T20 triumph
- Jonathan Trott comment: Batsman's volte face over why he quit the Ashes and clumsy choice of words to explain it harm those who really suffer from depression
- Jonathan Trott reasons for quitting Ashes feel like 'con', says Michael Vaughan
- World Twenty20: T20 marches on to global domination with record-breaking World Cup
- Australian Grand Prix: Bernie Ecclestone 'horrified' at quiet new F1 cars, with Melbourne organisers claiming lack of sound is 'breach of contract'
- Australian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg ‘silver arrow’ flies for Mercedes but Lewis Hamilton stalls
- Claire Williams: How F1's first lady is driving Williams back to the top
- Michael Schumacher: Mercedes dedicate Nico Rosberg Australian Grand Prix success to driver as he fights for his life
- Australian Grand Prix - comment: Technology still king as 'the great F1 shake-up' merely swaps dominance from Red Bull to their rivals
- Matt Butler: They talked the torque but forgot to tell us this was going to be fun
More Sports RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Football RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- World Cup 2014: Player profile - who is Sokratis Papastathopoulos, the Greece midfielder?
- World Cup 2014: Brazil 'must act to prevent outbreak of dengue fever' during summer tournament, warns expert
- World Cup 2014: Player profile - who is Javad Nekounam, the Iran midfielder?
- World Cup 2014 countdown: Rene Higuita goes from the Scorpion to the cockroach
- World Cup 2014 countdown: Graham Poll books the same player three times
- Seven things we learnt this weekend: The Premier League table is fascinating and Liverpool are genuine title contenders
- Sam Wallace: Scott Sinclair's stagnating career at Manchester City is a telling lesson to young talent... when offered a big-money transfer, ask 'Will I play?'
- The Last Word: Tim Sherwood out of his depth at a flawed club
- #FoyNotHoy: Cyclist Chris Hoy feels wrath of angry Chelsea fans aiming abuse at referee Chris Foy... again
- Two Premier League teams commission genetic profiles of their players
- It is easy to laugh at Joey Barton for speaking to the Oxford Union or tackling a philosophy degree, but his courage actually deserves praise
- Tottenham 0 Arsenal 1 comment: Tim Sherwood still rants and raves as Spurs huff and puff in defeat to Gunners
- Sol Campbell interview: I was misunderstood on England captaincy issue - it was wider than race
- Brazilian legend Ronaldo says Manchester United's Wayne Rooney is 'one of the best strikers in the world'
- Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3: Wayne Rooney claims 'that was my worst day in football' following humiliation at Old Trafford
- Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3 - comment: Steven Gerrard dares to dream of Premier League title as power shift gains more force at Old Trafford
- Premier League Sunday LIVE! Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal
- Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester City: Four teams and four games that could decide the Premier League title
- David Moyes 'never showed any interest in our youth team', claims Everton youth coach Kevin Sheedy
- Aston Villa 1 Chelsea 0: Jose Mourinho says it would be 'helpful' if Chris Foy stops refereeing Chelsea games
- Manchester United v Liverpool team news: Adnan Januzaj, Juan Mata, Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie named in attacking starting XI by David Moyes
- Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3 - player ratings: Who scored highest at Old Trafford - Steven Gerrard or Luis Suarez?
- Tottenham 0 Arsenal 1: Tomas Rosicky strike goes into his 'great goals collection' for Arsene Wenger
- Vincent Kompany and George Boyd await FA verdicts
- Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3 match report: Steven Gerrard scores twice from the spot before Luis Suarez strike to punish woeful champions at Old Trafford
- Tottenham 0 Arsenal 1 match report: Tomas Rosicky rocket sees Arsenal open up gap from Spurs in Premier League table
- Moments of truth: Matches against Liverpool, Olympiakos and Manchester City will go a long way to defining David Moyes' long-term future at Manchester United
- Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal: And finally... Arsenal can call on midfielder Kim Kallstrom
- Hull City Tigers: Name change set to be blocked by FA
- Liverpool victory over Manchester United 'just another game', says Jordan Henderson
- Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen eyes Champions League, but after Arsenal defeat, not until 'next year'
- Tomas Rosicky goal: Arsene Wenger said will go in his 'collection of great Arsenal goals' but where does it stand?
- Arsene Wenger: Arsenal manager says the Gunners are back in the title race after 1-0 win over Tottenham put them four points behind Chelsea in Premier League table
- Liverpool defender Jon Flanagan says Manchester City and Chelsea 'are going to be worried' as Premier League title race narrows
- Juan Mata reveals he was 'mad' at letting Manchester United fans down in defeat to Liverpool
- David Moyes admits being Manchester United manager is 'harder' than he expected following defeat to Liverpool
- Tottenham 0 Arsenal 1: Arsene Wenger calls derby win a 'huge result' as Gunners narrow gap to Chelsea in Premier League table
- Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3: Brendan Rodgers hasn't banned talk of the title at Anfield after Liverpool close gap on Chelsea at top of Premier League table
- George Boyd spitting: Hull City await FA findings on altercation with Manchester City keeper Joe Hart
- Manchester United 0 Liverpool 3: Steven Gerrard says Liverpool were 'upset' after Old Trafford win, because 'we didn't score more goals'
- Wojciech Szczesny selfie: Arsenal goalkeeper 'does an Ellen DeGeneres' on White Hart Lane pitch after Gunners victory
- Tottenham 0 Arsenal 1: Tomas Rosicky predicts Premier League title race will go 'right down to the last game of the season'
- Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal team news: Kim Kallstrom not on the Gunners bench for north London derby
- Jose Mourinho sending off: The FA to examine referee Chris Foy's match report before deciding to charge the manager
- Aston Villa 1 Chelsea 0: Red-carded Jose Mourinho slams referee after defeat
- Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers to seek big pay increase
Rugby RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Lewis Moody column: A case of what might have been – now England can take another step in New Zealand
- Six Nations 2014 - France 20 Ireland 22: Jubilant Ireland want title to be springboard for life after Brian O'Driscoll
- Six Nations 2014 - Italy 11 England 52: Stuart Lancas ter finds victory can feel like defeat, but future’s bright
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Fashion RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Food and Drink RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Health & Families RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- 'Excluded' dads put the heat on Mumsnet with campaign for parental parity in bringing up baby
- NHS consultant Dr Julian Beezhold in row over £1.2m for private clinic Milestones Hospital from cost-cutting trust
- Resurgence of TB poses grave threat worldwide
- Serving alcohol to parents at school social events could have a bad influence on children, charity warns
Gadgets and Tech RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Art RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Music RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Films RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
TV & Radio RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Katie Hopkins joins Jim Davidson and Liz Jones for Channel 5's Big Debt Debate
- True Detective season 2: Brad Pitt to replace Matthew McConaughey?
- The new Hogwarts? Cheshire pile Arley Hall to star in Disney adventure Evermoor
- Game of Thrones' Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is not bad
Comedy RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Theatre & Dance RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Books RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Reflections: Libraries, Foreword by Bjarne Hammer
- A Lovely Way To Burn, By Louise Welsh: Book review
- The Blazing World, By Siri Hustvedt: Book Review
- This Is Improbable Too, By Marc Abrahams: Book review
- The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle, By Kirsty Wark: Book review
- Love, Nina; Stuff Matters; How to be a Victorian; Topics About Which I know Nothing and The Sea of Innocence: Paperback reviews
- Book review: The Monuments: Cycling's Greatest One-Day Races, by Peter Cossins
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Wish you were still here...The $1m holiday for wealthy philanthropists that showcases the world's most endangered animals
- Missing Flight MH370: Are there really unmonitored black spots? Your questions answered
- Jetlag: the best way to tackle it is not to fight it
- Great getaways: From cycling in the Basque Country to National Ferry Fortnight
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
IndyBest RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Property RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
- 5 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees