Environment articles: top in 2008
Wednesday 24 December 2008
There has been little environmental news to cheer anyone up this year, but there has been plenty of it - which is perhaps why the fact that the top environment (well nature, perhaps) was one of ignorance rather than doom and gloom as the country's National Treasure on all thing natural was left bewildered : Attenborough alarmed as children are left flummoxed by test on the natural world.
Elsewhere in the top ten, it was largely a matter of noting the decline in the planet - from our revelation that, at one point, there was No ice at the North Pole, to the fact of The world's rubbish dump: a garbage tip that stretches from Hawaii to Japan. We also noted that the world is facing a Methane time bomb and wondered Why flowers have lost their scent.
There was also signs of action - from drawing attention to the problem as Cartoonists tackle climate change to the Independent on Sunday's list of activists - The Top 100 Environmentalists. And those activists may have been heartened to read that a Jury decides that threat of global warming justifies breaking the law. Such action may well have gone beyond the extremes intimated by Britain declares war on food waste.
And, of course, as with all the top stories across all the sections, the credit crunch has had an effect as we revealed How the oil crisis has hit the world.
The top ten environment stories for 2008:
- Attenborough alarmed as children are left flummoxed by test on the natural world
- Exclusive: Scientists warn that there may be no ice at North Pole this summer
- The world's rubbish dump: a garbage tip that stretches from Hawaii to Japan
- No words necessary: The cartoonists tackle climate change
- The IoS Green List: Britain's top 100 environmentalists
- Cleared: Jury decides that threat of global warming justifies breaking the law
- Why flowers have lost their scent
- Shocked! How the oil crisis has hit the world
- Exclusive: The methane time bomb
- Britain declare war on food waste
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £48000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Devel...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Swift...
£55000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Front-End Deve...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Graduate C# De...