London Zoo's Komodo dragon dies scaling wall
Saturday 21 August 2004
A rare Komodo dragon plunged to her death while scaling a wall to reach her mate, London Zoo confirmed yesterday.
The Zoological Society of London, which hoped that Nina, 10, and her mate Raja, six, would be a major attraction and help save the species, has launched an inquiry. Scaling the wall in her £1menclosure was "both spontaneous and entirely out of character" behaviour, ZSL said.
Nina, which was 6.5ft long and weighed 44lbs, died of internal bleeding on Wednesday. She was injured after scrambling up a dividing wall, which ranges from 7.2ft to 8.2ft high, and falling into Raja's section.
Earlier she had climbed the wall but keepers using brooms and chunks of meat coaxed her down.
The pair arrived at the zoo last month amid great publicity. It was hoped they would be introduced later this year and possibly start breeding. London Zoo insisted the Komodo house was completed to the highest specifications.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £70000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Technical Impl...
£65000 - £90000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Rogue Trading ...
£35000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: MI BA Analyst (SQL, S...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: A leading, Cit...