Across Britain, the streets come alive with cherry blossom
"Loveliest of trees," wrote the poet AE Housman a century ago, "the cherry, now, is hung with bloom along the bough..."
He went on to describe a white-blossoming cherry – "wearing white for Eastertide" – but there's no doubt he would have been just as taken with this magnificent pink-blossoming specimen which was on display in a quiet square yesterday in Kensington, London.
But Kensington could have been Bayswater or Hampstead or Chiswick or Islington, for all over the capital, indeed all over much of southern Britain cherry trees are in flower now in quite splendid fashion.
Along the dual carriageway leading up to Twickenham Bridge in south-west London, for example, alternate pink and white cherry trees are giving the appearance of Neapolitan ice cream, while in nearby Kew, the cherry blossom is wonderfully completing the Japanese Landscape section of the Royal Botanical Gardens.
In some areas, the cherries have been flowering much earlier than expected. "The cherry blossom is a really magnificent sight and a great indicator that spring has arrived," said Dominic Price, a spokesman for the UK charity Plantlife. "People usually associate blossom with Easter and it normally flowers in April but in some parts of the country it is four weeks earlier this year.
"The fact that the blossom has come so soon may also mean it will be a good year for cherries, as it kickstarts the whole process of forming fruit earlier."
* Judging has been slightly delayed in the £5,000 essay prize on the future of England's forests sponsored by the Cambridge-based wildlife conservation charity Fauna and Flora International in conjunction with The Independent. The sheer number of entries has meant the process of creating a short list is taking longer than anticipated, but final judging is now set for 3 May and the winner will be announced shortly thereafter.
From the blogs
Time for the monthly treat from David Hayes, who writes about British politics for the Australian In...
Cask ale brewers don’t come much bigger than Marston’s. In fact the brewery, which also owns thousan...
Nadine Dorries talks freely about many things, but not whether she was paid to go on I'm a Cleberity...
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
Lord Lawson's climate-change think tank risks being dismantled after complaint it persistently misled public
'To farm I have to rape the countryside. It’s got to be wrong': The true effect of the badger cull
Mind how ewe go: the sheep-eating killer plant that’s ready to bloom
The 10 best folding bikes
10 best hiking boots
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...