Edinburgh zoo pandas could mate 'within weeks'
Sunday 17 February 2013
Edinburgh Zoo’s two giant pandas could be ready to mate within the next month, according to experts.
Both Tian Tian (“Sweetie”) and Yang Guang (“Sunshine”), who were introduced to each other last April, have started to show important behavioural changes indicating their readiness to breed, panda specialists at the zoo say.
Yang Guang has recently begun doing handstands against trees, walls and rocks, allowing him to leave scent markers as high up as possible – a known display of virility. Meanwhile Tian Tian has started calling out, a common behaviour during breeding season.
Edinburgh Zoo – where the pandas have lived since their arrival from China in December 2011 – has employed a number of tricks to synchronise the breeding cycles of the pandas, including controlling the lighting and swapping their enclosures. While the behavioural signs are positive, so far no hormonal changes have been detected in either of the animals.
From the blogs
As a reluctant vegetarian (so reluctant that I'm not vegetarian at all) and a reluctant risotto eate...
Time for the monthly treat from David Hayes, who writes about British politics for the Australian In...
Nadine Dorries talks freely about many things, but not whether she was paid to go on I'm a Cleberity...
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
Lord Lawson's climate-change think tank risks being dismantled after complaint it persistently misled public
'To farm I have to rape the countryside. It’s got to be wrong': The true effect of the badger cull
Mind how ewe go: the sheep-eating killer plant that’s ready to bloom
The 10 best folding bikes
10 best hiking boots
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...