Here's looking at you, squid Giant eyeball washes up on Florida beach
Saturday 13 October 2012
A deep-blue eyeball the size of a grapefruit washed up on a Florida beach has left wildlife experts puzzled.
It was spotted lying upside down on the sand at Pompano Beach by Gino Covacci, who was on his morning walk.
What kind of creature has lost its eye in an accident or fight is as yet unknown, but candidates include a giant squid, tuna, shark, whale and swordfish.
It was "very, very fresh" when Mr Covacci found it. "It was still bleeding when I put it in the plastic bag," he told the Orlando Sentinel. He placed the bag in his refrigerator before calling the police who referred it to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
Experts are now trying to work out its origin. "A large fish is the leading candidate," said Carli Segelson, from the commission.
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 3 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 4 Bad Jews poster 'censored' on London Tube
- 5 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Elif Shafak: Turkish author warns against rise of British nationalism
Ex-head of MI6: 'We shouldn't kid ourselves that Russia is on a path to democracy'
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests
£65000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Technical Presales Engineer - central London ...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Physiotherapist / Sports Ther...
£8 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Sales Executives / Advisors are required...
£14000 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for a...