Jellyfish invasion wipes out fish farm
Thursday 22 November 2007
Northern Ireland's only salmon farm has been wiped out by a jellyfish invasion, with more than 100,000 fish, worth £1m, being killed.
The owners of the fish farm at Glenarm Bay and Red Bay, Cushendun, off the County Antrim coast said the company's future was in doubt. "We are still assessing the full extent, but it's a disaster," said John Russell, managing director of Northern Salmon Co Ltd.
It is thought that billions of jellyfish known as mauve stingers were involved. The invasion last Tuesday lasted for seven hours with the jellyfish covering an area of up to 10 sq miles. At one stage staff in three boats tried to reach the cages, but such was the density of the jellyfish that they struggled to get through. Mr Russell said: "I've never seen anything like it. The sea was red with these jellyfish and there was nothing we could do."
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
£40000 - £43000 Per Annum plus company bonus: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Structural Engineer Job...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHELTENHAM - COMMERCIAL LITIGATION - A...