Mystery deaths of 500 penguins
Monday 16 July 2012
More than 500 dead penguins have been washed up on beaches in southern Brazil over the past week.
Marine biologists and veterinarians reported yesterday that the birds had no visible injuries or oil stains and appeared to be well fed. The Centre of Coastal and Marine Studies said it expected to receive the results of autopsies on some of the birds within the next month.
The 512 Magellanic penguins were found on beaches of the southern state of Rio Grande do Sul and had been migrating north from Argentina in search of food in warmer waters.
Greenpeace comes to the aid of Britain's small fishing vessels
Frilled shark: Australian fishermen capture terrifying shark from the deep
Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past
Scientists call for destructive seabed trawling to be banned
Brazil drought: It's a really dry January in the South American country, with rainfall is at its lowest level since 1930
- 1 Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Software Tester is required t...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The Company sells mobile video advertising sol...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We have a vacancy within our ra...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Support Analyst - 1st Line Helpde...