Mystery deaths of 500 penguins
Monday 16 July 2012
More than 500 dead penguins have been washed up on beaches in southern Brazil over the past week.
Marine biologists and veterinarians reported yesterday that the birds had no visible injuries or oil stains and appeared to be well fed. The Centre of Coastal and Marine Studies said it expected to receive the results of autopsies on some of the birds within the next month.
The 512 Magellanic penguins were found on beaches of the southern state of Rio Grande do Sul and had been migrating north from Argentina in search of food in warmer waters.
Kielder Forest considered as site for return of wild lynx to the UK after 1,300 year absence
Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars
Frilled shark: Australian fishermen capture terrifying shark from the deep
Northern white rhino dies at San Diego Zoo Safari Park to leave just five left in the world
Humanity's 'inexorable' population growth is so rapid that even a global catastrophe would not stop it
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...