Protest at 'macabre' pilot whale slaughter
Friday 20 August 2010
Mutilated pilot whales line the dock at Klaksvic on the Faroe Islands, a Danish protectorate, after being slaughtered by islanders who slash and stab to death hundreds of the animals as part of an annual hunt.
Brigitte Bardot, the actress turned animal rights campaigner, joined the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society in condemning the killings and writing to Queen Margrethe II of Denmark calling for the killings to be halted.
"This macabre spectacle is a shame for Denmark and the Faroe Islands," the letter said.
Investigation launched after manatee drowns at Paris zoo
Melting glaciers are caused by man-made global warming, study shows
The top 10 weirdest animal mating rituals
The butterfly effect: climate change ‘forced species to adapt’
The ugliest animals on earth: Blobfish, axolotl and proboscis monkey battle it out to be named least attractive beast
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 4 Nicki Minaj 'Anaconda': Singer finally releases predictable video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women
£120 - £162 per day: Randstad Education Hull: Randstad Education require an ex...
£120 - £162 per day: Randstad Education Hull: Year 3 primary supply teacher ne...
£100 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Bristol: Supply special educational ne...
£32500 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Birmingham: European Social Fund...