The busy mother with 11 hungry mouths to feed
Saturday 29 May 2010
They suffered more than most bird species during the unusually cold snap in January.
But these long-tailed tits, which need to find food almost continually throughout the winter to survive, appear to be flourishing at the RSPB's nature reserve at Fairburn Ings in West Yorkshire, despite the mother having 11 hungry mouths to feed.
The long-tailed tit is sometimes described as "a ball of fluff on a stick" because of its long tail and relatively small body.
Dolphins ‘deliberately get high’ on puffer fish nerve toxins by carefully chewing and passing them around
Disappearing world: Global warming claims tropical island
Iberian lynx cubs born in the wild bring hope for the world's most endangered feline species
AeroFarms: Work starts to build world's largest vertical urban farm in Newark
Animal Extinction - the greatest threat to mankind
- 1 Technology company Alibaba posts job advert asking for 'stunning' women with qualities of adult film actress Sora Aoi
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 4 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
In defence of liberal democracy
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
£215 per day: Ashdown Group: Junior Project Manager (website, web application ...
£30 - 40k (£65k Y1 OTE Uncapped): Guru Careers: We are seeking a Business Deve...
Competitive (DOE): Guru Careers: We are looking for an ambitious and adaptable...
£30 - 40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Solutions Consultan...