Ukraine: Bears to be freed from vodka torture
Thursday 04 August 2011
Ukraine's Environment Minister promised yesterday to free all bears kept in restaurants for entertainment purposes and often forced to drink alcohol.
Captured and tamed bears were used for entertainment in the Russian Empire, which included Ukraine, turning the animal into a national symbol.
The practice appears to have survived Ukraine's emergence from Soviet rule, but the minister, Mykola Zlochevsky, said it was inhumane and unacceptable today.
"On television, they keep showing bears suffering in restaurants and roadside hotels," he told Interfax news agency. "How long can we tolerate animal torture in restaurants where drunken guests make bears drink vodka for laughs?"
The ministry is planning an enclosure at a wildlife sanctuary to house about 80 bears.
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
Super Package: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - SENIOR CLINICAL NEGLIGENCE - An outstan...
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...