The Saturday Quiz
From the blogs
Owen Howells is a DJ/producer who grew up in Australia but was born in the UK. He came back to the U...
Justice, the bedrock of our society is for sale under the Government’s latest plan to sell legal aid...
Take inspiration from the green-fingered brigade who have been showing off their creativity at the R...
There are more empty shops on our high streets than ever before, says another report into the state ...
1. Which chain of stores, founded by Sam Walton, began life in Rogers, Arkansas in 1962?
2. What did the Bechstein Hall – a London classical music venue – change its name to in 1917?
3. Which word used to describe a high-ranking bureaucrat has its origins in imperial China?
4. Rupert Everett, Kenneth Branagh, Daniel Day-Lewis and Colin Firth all featured in an early 1980s West End production of which play?
5. The Holte End can be found at which Premier League club's ground?
6. In 1974, which country was invaded by Turkey?
7. The Île d'Orléans is located in which non-French river?
8. Stag's Leap by Sharon Olds recently won which prize?
9. "Brush Up Your Shakespeare": a song from which 1948 musical?
10. Neo-Plasticism – a 20th-century art movement that emphasised primary colours and straight lines – originated in which European country?
- 1 Pope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good
- 2 'He was always smiling': Lee Rigby named as Woolwich victim
- 3 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Two bailed after arrest over Woolwich attack Twitter comments
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.