Today's letter from the Editor
£45000 - £69999 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Algo-Develo...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
£50000 - £80000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Data Sci...
£350 - £400 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Cent...
i Editor's Letter: Blooming banks!
I managed to sneak out of the office yesterday and spend a couple of hours at the Hampton Court Flower Show. The Chelsea Flower Show may be a showpiece of British horticultural excellence, but Hampton Court is really good fun — a people's show.
It has an even grander, more historic setting than Chelsea, but it has the atmosphere of a country fete — perhaps because it's held in summer and everyone always seems to be in holiday mood.
You can purchase almost anything your heart desires for the garden, whether your tastes run to African thatched huts, South American hammocks, Chinese pots, Moroccan lanterns, or French vintage-style twiddly bits and pieces.
Traders at Hampton Court like cash, not credit, and there is usually a mobile bank on site, with a couple of cash machines. Yesterday, the two cash machines were out of order, and as you can imagine, the queue for cash was substantial.
I had to wait 20 minutes to be served, and then was told I could only have more than £50 if I had ID. Did I have my passport? Oddly enough, my passport is not the first thing I think of when I'm en route to a flower show. So no, I didn't.
I managed to persuade the teller I was a solvent member of society, and he gave me my money, telling me that even though the cash machines were out of order, and we had all been queueing for ages, he was still going to make a charge for the transaction.
Blooming banks! There we all were, having a lovely time, and they come along and spoil it all with their money-grabbing routines. Hang on, that has a familiar ring to it.
Stefano Hatfield is awayFollow @VBackyard
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades