Today's letter from the Editor
£22000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is part of a Group...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a a young, dynamic pers...
Voluntary: Cancer Research UK: We’re looking for someone to support our award ...
£70000 - £90000 per annum + bonus + car allowance + benefits: Ashdown Group: H...
i Editor's Letter: Let's take Mother's Day seriously. Like International Women's Day, the other 365 days of the year belong to someone else
If one more person makes a smarty-pants remark about why do we need an International Women's Day (IWD), I don't know what I'll do. Perhaps I'll “scweam and scweam” until I make myself sick. It's simple: the other 364 days belong to men.
And that's the thinking that has persuaded me to suspend all cynicism regarding tomorrow's “Hallmark holiday” – ie a commemorative day invented so that greetings cards manufacturers can sell more products. Regular readers will know that I am not a big fan of Valentine's Day and all the rest, but Mother's Day? It's different.
If you have to ask why, then I am sorry, dear reader, you have no soul. Just as with IWD, part of the answer lies in the fact that the other 364 days of the year belong to someone, pretty much everyone, else. And, partly, the answer lies in the vastly underrated notion of “just because”.
Even if you are saintly, and love, respect, treasure and look after her the other 364 days, then why not do it on the 365th, “just because” you can? It really doesn't have to be a big thing.
A TV commercial from the past comes to mind. It was one of the original BT “it's good to talk” series starring Bob Hoskins. A man phones his mother with the words “Hi, Mum, listen I can't talk long”, immediately establishing that mum is lucky to have his time, and that there is a time limit on her good fortune.
So this day, for one day at least, buy the flowers or chocolates or scented candles, but more than anything else try to call on your mother, either by phone or in person, and don't put a limit on the conversation, just talk. Even better, why not listen? Even Hallmark can't make her that happy.
- 1 Bruce Jenner's 'Interview of the year': Suicidal thoughts, rejection by family members and new wardrobe
- 2 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 3 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free