Today's letter from the Editor
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...
Page 3 Profile: Andre Cassagnes, inventor of etch a sketch
The mighty Etch A Sketch. Tell me more...
The inventor of the Etch A Sketch has died aged 86 at his home in Paris.
The Ohio Art Company, which still produces the toy, said André Cassagnes died on 16 January. His mechanical toy, which featured in Toy Story, has sold over 100 million copies since it was released in 1959.
How did he stumble across the idea?
It happened while he was working as an electrical technician with metal powders. He found that marks in a coating of aluminium shavings could be seen as a pattern on the reverse of a translucent plate. The toy that resulted, with its red frame, white dials and grey screen that can be cleaned with a quick shake, has maintained a cultish following despite technological advances.
Are the kids still sketching?
Well, the toy's producers seized on a much-publicised political gaffe during last year's US Presidential election. An adviser to Mitt Romney likened his campaign to an Etch A Sketch, admitting the opposition shake it up and they start all over again. They started making blue ones.
Did he come up with any other cool toys?
The inventor forged a reputation as a gifted kite-maker in France during the 1980s, winning numerous competitions for his creations.
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats