Today's letter from the Editor
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Page 3 Profile: Carmen Carrera, model
Hey, good looking.
Standing 5ft 10in (stilettos not included), with a killer pout and a striking physique, Carmen Carrera, 28, is well-served in the looks department. She’s just signed to one of New York City’s top modelling agencies, has appeared in glossy fashion magazines and walked the catwalk at LA fashion week. She also happens to have been born male.
I’d never have guessed.
Carrera came into the spotlight on reality TV show RuPaul’s Drag U in 2011. She evidently made a mark – well over 30,000 people have now signed a petition calling for her to become the first transgender Victoria’s Secret model.
Eh? You mean RuPaul. He’s an American drag queen and star who presents a reality TV contest to find the country’s ‘next drag superstar’. As a contestant, Carrera identified as male, but after the show announced she would be undergoing gender reassignment. In March, she wrote on Facebook: “I have transitioned from male to female. I’ve crossed the finish line. Stop trying to pull me back.”
Why Victoria’s Secret?
It’s a prestigious gig: previous models include Heidi Klum and Gisele Bundchen. If successful, many believe it would see her qualify as the world’s first trans supermodel.
And is it likely?
Victoria’s Secret were yesterday tight-lipped. It remains to be seen whether they agree with Carrera’s motto: “Gender does not exist in terms of beauty.”
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'