Today's letter from the Editor
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...
Page 3 Profile: James Cracknell, oarsman and broadcaster
Done much special?
As a professional rower, he won Olympic golds at Sydney and Athens and six World Championship titles. Post-retirement, he’s completed two sub-three hour marathons, ridden the Tour de France, suffered frostbite and pneumonia walking across the South Pole, completed the multisport New Zealand coast-to-coast race, represented the UK in triathlon, ridden a rickshaw from Edinburgh to London, had a near-fatal accident with a truck while attempting to cycle, row, run and swim from Los Angeles to New York in 16 days – and endured 49 days in a boat with Ben Fogle, rowing across the Atlantic.
So, a fair bit. What’s next?
Announcing that he will stand as Conservative MEP for the south-west, he told i: “I benefited massively from public support when I was a sportsman and in ventures I’ve done since retiring, especially after the accident, and I resolved as part of my recovery to use my skills and talent to help other people. I feel I can best do that in politics.”
Is he feeling confident?
“[In] sport, if you train well, prepare well, race well, you get the result you deserve. Politically, you can canvas well, get a good campaign, talk to so many people who say yes I’ve voted for you, but when they’re alone, they do what they want.”
Any other revelations?
He eats Frosties with yogurt and hard-boiled egg whites for breakfast. The breakfast of Eurocrats!
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'