Today's letter from the Editor
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This forward-thinking agency works with ...
£18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is a rapidly expanding offi...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The successful candidate will b...
£13500 - £14500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting new opportunity has...
Page 3 Profile: Roman Polanski, film director
Polanski made tedious comments about women at the Cannes Film Festival. According to USA Today, the 79-year-old said “trying to level the genders is purely idiotic”, adding: “Offering flowers to a lady has become indecent … The pill has greatly changed the place of women in our times, masculinising her.”
Hold up! It seems he may in fact be pioneering this year’s hot new Cannes theme: misogyny. After Lars von Triers made Hitler apologia the offensive fad of 2012’s event, boring old blokes talking down to women seems to be all the rage. Director Francois Ozon said women fantastise about being prostitutes while Jerry Lewis says the idea of women doing broad comedy “bothers” him.
So liberation is masculinising?
It would seem that’s what he’s trying to say. But you have to remember, he’s a rather complicated gentleman. His pregnant wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered by Charles Manson and members of his cult. Then, in 1977, he was arrested and charged with having sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl, which he later admitted as part of a plea bargain
How come he’s never done time – and we’re still watching his films?
Hm. He’s a bloke with a vision? And in Hollywood, that can wash away many a sin.
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship