1. Learn how Anglo-Saxons celebrated Yuletide as part of the Yule Fest at West Stow Country Park, Suffolk, today and next Sunday (stedmundsbury. gov.uk). There's free entry to the Anglo-Saxon Village and lots of festive fun.
2. From Wednesday, The Lacemaker's Story, a new exhibition at Harborough Museum, Leicestershire, will recount the history of the inventor of the lacemaking machine, John Heathcoat, and his battle with the Luddites in 1816 (leics.gov.uk/ museums).
3. Winter Wonderland opens in Cardiff on Thursday, with an open-air ice rink and traditional carousel and big wheel rides (cardiffswinter wonderland.com).
4. Capital Sport is giving children under 16 years old 40 per cent off its daily Gentle Cycling tours of London (capital-sport. co.uk) this winter. The tours should be booked and range from seven to 17 miles along the Thames.
5. Haworth in Yorkshire kicks off its seasonal celebrations on Saturday with the national Town Crier Competition. Plus, there will be a Victorian parade on Sunday (haworth-village.org.uk).Reuse content