Ballot boxing: Politics turns into a punch-up
When discussion leads to concussion, when political debate leads to hate - our picture desk selects the most bruising political punch-ups...
If politics is showbusiness for ugly people, we should perhaps expect ugly scenes.
In these economically tough times it is also maybe unsurprising that politicians should in their fury reach for an object to fling at someone.
Indeed, that's what happened at the Legislative Council in Hong Kong yesterday.
Pro-democracy lawmaker Leung Kwok-hung threw a cloud-shaped cushion at Hong Kong's Financial Secretary John Tsang to demand a universal retirement protection scheme during the annual budget report.
And though his selection of object might be unusual (politicians tending to favour their fists), violent outbursts are by no means a rare occurrence between the politically minded - as our gallery - selected by Annalee Mather of The Independent picture desk proves...
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >