Banana and aspirin is key to longevity, according to world's oldest man who has died aged 112
Salustiano Sanchez-Blazquez, born in Spain in 1901, said he owed his longevity to eating a banana and six Anacin every day
The world's oldest man has died aged 112.
Salustiano Sanchez-Blazquez, who was recognised by Guinness World Records as the world's oldest man, passed away at a nursing home in New York.
The former musician and coal miner, nicknamed "Shorty," became the world's oldest man when Jiroemon Kimura died aged 116 in June this year.
Sanchez-Blazquez was born on June 8, 1901, in the Spanish village of El Tejado de Bejar. He moved to Cuba at 17, before arriving in the United States in 1920 where he worked in coal mines in Lynch, Kentucky.
His wife, Pearl, died in 1988. They had two children, seven grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren.
He previously said the secret of his old age was a banana and six Anacin aspirin and caffeine tablets every day.
It is thought the title of world's oldest man will now pass to Italian Arturo Licata who is 111. The world's oldest woman is Misao Okawa, aged 115, from Japan.
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it