Photographer allegedly assaulted while taking pictures of Wayne and Colleen Rooney at Rihanna gig
Police are investigating the assault at the Manchester Arena on Wednesday evening
A photographer was allegedly assaulted while taking taking pictures of Wayne and Colleen Rooney as they arrived at a Rihanna gig.
Freelance photographer Chris Gleave, 56, was hit in the back of the head while photographing the couple as they arrived at Manchester Arena.
Gleave, who was on commission for the Manchester Evening News, suffered a cut above his eye. The incident occurred at 8pm on Wednesday.
He said the attack was unprovoked: “He punched me, laughed in my face and then watched the concert with his mates.
“I can not let him get away with it. If it happened in the street I would prosecute him so it should not be any different because it happened when I was working."
The Rooneys attended the concert to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary. It was their first public outing since the birth last month of their second son Klay.
Police are quizzing a man in connection to the incident.
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 Chelsea victory parade: Chelsea mocked on Twitter as 'tens of fans' pack the streets of London
- 3 US warned by Chinese media to stop meddling or 'war will be inevitable'
- 4 Woman, 21, dies after taking contraceptive pill that 'caused fatal blood clot'
- 5 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says