1. Syrian jets bomb eastern rebel towns
Isis-controlled areas close to the border with Iraq were targeted in five raids on Saturday, leaving at least 16 dead and dozens more injured.
2. Pope Francis visits Mafia stronghold
The head of the Roman-Catholic Church visits a prison in the southern Italian region of Calabria: the power base of global drug trafficking syndicate ‘Ndrangheta.
3. Korean TV dramas give Asian shoppers urge to splurge
The growing popularity of Korean TV drama provides the perfect opportunity for shrewd product placement for everything from smartphones to cosmetics.
4. England players must learn from ‘hurt’
England striker Wayne Rooney expresses the team’s disappointment following their early World Cup elimination and says the players must learn from their 'pain'.
5. Peanut: The World’s Ugliest Dog
Peanut the pup was awarded the rather dubious accolade of being this year’s most unsightly pooch at the competition in Petaluma, California.