Bargain Hunter: Bargain of the week - Nationwide's net profit
Saturday 22 August 1998
It's not just the cost of all those phone calls trying to find those elusive train times for the once-in-a-lifetime journey from New York to San Francisco. It also means a monthly payment to one of the many service providers that access the Net.
Which is where the Nationwide comes in. The building society is launching itself as service provider in its own right. Unlike its rivals, who charge between pounds 8.99 (Tesco) and pounds 17.95 a month (Compuserve), the Nationwide's service will cost pounds 7.50 a month.
Its offer includes the usual come-ons, including a month's free trial, access to standard facilities, up to five e-mail addresses, local call charges and five megabytes of web space for customers to create their own web pages.
The catch? You have to be a Nationwide customer to sign up. But that's no hardship. Stick a few quid into one of its competitive savings accounts and get surfing as your money grows. Call 0800 7316860.
Life & Style blogs
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...