B&B The New York Way
Saturday 03 July 1999
So how come? Well, Manhattan-style bed and breakfast is something of a misnomer. What you are buying is the use of an ordinary New Yorker's residence, minus the resident New Yorker. They hand over their keys, you hand over your money, and after that, you're on your own, buddy.
During our most recent stay, we had the run of a spacious and well-furnished three-room apartment in the trendy East Village for just US$120 (pounds 75) a night. Not cheap exactly, but you'd struggle to get even a basic hotel room for the same price in mid-town Manhattan.
New York can be brash and intimidating but, when you've got your own pad, it all seems much more homely. Suddenly you begin to feel at home, adopting the hometown swagger as you mooch through the streets. Before you know it, you'll be singing "Native New Yorker" as if you wrote it yourself.
Adrian Goldberg stayed with Bed and Breakfast in Manhattan, PO Box 533, New York, NY 10150 0533 (001 212 472 2528)
Life & Style blogs
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
£30k - 38k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: An award-winning consume...
£40k - 45k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...
£30k - 35k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: We’re currently re...
£35k - 45k per year + benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...