briefs: Your number's up
Monday 16 October 1995
Dave Fitch from the department of geography at the University of Edinburgh e-mails us urgently: last week's information about a bug in Microsoft Excel is only partly correct, he says. "If you type the number [1.40737488355328] into Excel on a PC, you do indeed get 0.64. But if you type the same number into an Excel spreadsheet on a Macintosh, you get 1.28 instead. Impressive eh?"
We were certainly impressed. Microsoft says there are three such sequences of 15 digits that produce erroneous answers, and that this has been the case since Excel Version 3. There is a free software patch available from Microsoft's various electronic sites on Compuserve (GO MICROSOFT) and the World Wide Web (http://www. microsoft.com/).
There has been no official reason for the fault. Perhaps it is a means of copyrighting the program, just like putting intentional spelling errors in dictionaries.
Life & Style blogs
Men in crop tops seem to be trending thanks to Kid Cudi, the social media and the catwalk
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
£50000 - £60000 Per Annum + excellent company benefits: Clearwater People Solu...
£65000 - £70000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based i...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Energy En...
£475 - £550 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Senior Technical Accountant-Insuran...