Choice: Gig: M People, Brighton Centre
Monday 08 December 1997
An unkind soul hereabouts remarked of M People that they are the best thing to listen to when working out on the Stairmaster. To which I say, if you must construct your entire aesthetic around going to the gym, you are a profoundly sad person. None of which will worry Heather Small, above, she of the big hair and the lowest voice in pop since Lou Rawls. The naysayers pooh-pooh the notion of seeing these sophisticated popsters in concert, suggesting that anyone who ends up as the background to a Peugeot commercial cannot be worth anyone's time or trouble, but I say "Hey, guys, lighten up. This is classy stuff." Face it, they may be singing strange lyrics imploring you to "search for the hero inside yourself", but I'd rather look for the hero than the inner child, which nearly everyone else is wittering on about.
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...