Choice: Theatre: Othello
Thursday 04 December 1997
In the right hands, Shakespeare's study of envy and jealousy, race and rage leaps from the page into your blood supply. The plotting alone should grip you by the throat and that's certainly the case in Sam Mendes's 1930s production. It is indebted to Trevor Nunn's heartstopping staging of almost 10 years ago (with Ian McKellen's thrillingly malevolent Iago, Willard White's bombastic Othello and a matchless Emilia from Zoe Wanamaker) but it has several pluses of its own. As Othello, David Harewood exudes danger which makes the murder of Claire Skinner's slim but steely Desdemona seem terrifyingly plausible. Simon Russell Beale's horrifying Iago (above) commands the stage with an almost weaselly vigour which Mendes harnesses to build a claustrophobic intensity worthy of a truly great thriller. Which, of course, it is. Day seats and returns only.
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...