Choice: Theatre: Othello
Thursday 04 December 1997
In the right hands, Shakespeare's study of envy and jealousy, race and rage leaps from the page into your blood supply. The plotting alone should grip you by the throat and that's certainly the case in Sam Mendes's 1930s production. It is indebted to Trevor Nunn's heartstopping staging of almost 10 years ago (with Ian McKellen's thrillingly malevolent Iago, Willard White's bombastic Othello and a matchless Emilia from Zoe Wanamaker) but it has several pluses of its own. As Othello, David Harewood exudes danger which makes the murder of Claire Skinner's slim but steely Desdemona seem terrifyingly plausible. Simon Russell Beale's horrifying Iago (above) commands the stage with an almost weaselly vigour which Mendes harnesses to build a claustrophobic intensity worthy of a truly great thriller. Which, of course, it is. Day seats and returns only.
Life & Style blogs
Wii U to beat Xbox One and PS4 at Christmas says Play.com,
Britain's poor 'will die before they retire' if pension reforms aren't matched by health improvements
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Ron Wayne: The Apple founder who missed out on a fortune
eBay XBox One scam: Dad pays £450 for a picture of the console
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...