Easy ways to overhaul your diet
Wednesday 20 February 2013
‘Get Fit’ has got to be the most popular New Year's resolution of all time. If you want to turn over a new leaf in 2013 and work towards a better sense of wellbeing it's easy to make a few simple additions to your diet that will make a huge difference to your health. That doesn't mean completely making over what you put into your meals straight away, as sometimes it's better to gradually change your diet to make sure it works for you in the long term. By making these tiny tweaks to your weekly meal plan, you can add vitamins and minerals to boost your health:
- Iron-rich food. A simple side of broccoli and spinach is a great way of getting some energy-boosting iron into your diet.
- Nuts and seeds. Take the time substituting your chocolate and crisps for nuts and seeds that will provide a snack filled with protein and fibre without the fat content.
- Fruit and veg are packed with vitamins and minerals, including folate, vitamin C and potassium so try introducing more into your diet if you're not getting your five a day.
- Swap to good carbohydrates. You don't have to cut out rice and pasta, just go for healthy wholemeal versions as they are a great source of fibre and better for your body as they release energy slower.
- A little fish on Friday. If you go for an oily fish once a week you'll boost your intake of omega 3 vitamins immediately.
Many people are put off by the expense and effort of healthy eating, hastening the demise of many a well-intentioned New Year’s Resolution. But it’s increasingly possible to keep both your body and your bank balance healthy, with many leading retailers offering high quality produce which doesn’t cost the earth.
Last year ASDA won more awards for freshness than any other supermarket including Winner of the 2012 Retail Industry Awards for Fresh Produce Retailer of the Year and also the 2012 Meat Management Industry Awards. Given the brand’s well-earned reputation for value, you know ASDA groceries will be affordable without any sacrifice in quality. So go ahead and make a sustainable start to your New Year’s health kick!
Life & Style blogs
Alexander McQueen at auction: What makes a really great piece of fashion?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No female ejaculation, please, we’re British: a history of porn and censorship
Stressed nurses are 'forced to choose between health of patients and their own'
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Germany sees 'visible rise' in support for far-right extremism in response to perceived 'Islamisation' of the West
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
£20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly reputable business is looking to rec...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is a major supplier of buil...
£28000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly reputable business is looking to rec...