Agenda: Bally; DC Moore; Soho food feast; Nicola Roberts; Career-O-Matic
Sunday 12 June 2011
Fashion: There's still fire in the Bally
Some would say that fashion is a fickle mistress, so you don't get to celebrate 160 years in the business without knowing how to give your customers what they want. Enter Bally, purveyor of chic accessories to generations of the stealthily wealthy, which has launched a capsule collection to celebrate its landmark birthday. Bally-Rina, a refined selection of ballet flats and tote bags, is touched with whimsy while still providing the fit and comfort associated with the brand. All the shoes and bags are £175 and are available from bally.com
Face to watch: DC Moore
The 30-year-old playwright had a breakout Edinburgh hit with monologue Honest, and brutal candour is a hallmark of his burgeoning oeuvre. His latest, The Swan, is set around a fractious pub wake and will premiere at the National in July
Lexpionage: Cowellamity, n.
An event that appears to spell great and sudden disaster while in fact serving to sustain interest in clapped-out reality television formats. Cf. 'The Sun' for further explanation
Social networking: Match the tweet to the star
Jessica Simpson, Myleene Klass, Jamie Oliver, Penny Smith
1. Last night I fell like a wooden puppet on a cobblestone street
2. Driving home on the motorway. Just seen a guy at the wheel, writing on a clip board. Hope he's noting down he's a prize p***k
4. Is there a formula for how long it takes to feel like you've never had a holiday? I want to be back in the bush (oh stop it).
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch #22: The Waste Land
Put poetry in motion – and make printed-word snobs eat their verse – with this digital rendering of TS Eliot's philosophical epic. Alongside the virtuosic text, it includes a filmed performance from Fiona Shaw, audio readings including one by the author himself, interactive notes and 35 expert video perspectives. £7.99 from iTunes store
On the radar: Because some things are still worth getting excited about...
Food: Soho food feast
The fête goes fine dining at this al-fresco fundraiser featuring raffles, cake-baking competitions and grub from the likes of Polpo, St John Hotel and Bocca di Lupo. St Anne's Garden, Wardour Street, sohofoodfeast.co.uk
Music: Nicola Roberts
Are you yet to dance to the "Beat of My Drum"? Then may we suggest turning your ear to the Diplo-produced, blue-chip brat-pop of the Girl Aloud's debut single forthwith. Cheryl who, you say?
Want to trace the wavering critical fortunes of Hollywood's finest? Then website Slate has come up this brilliant graph tool analysing their careers via Rotten Tomatoes reviews: slate.me/kZ6Uub
MATCH THE TWEET: 1. JESSICA SIMPSON; 2.MYLEENE KLASS; 3. JAMIE OLIVER; 4. PENNY SMITH
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£12000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion and growth of ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Operations Leader is required to join a lea...