Agenda: Lavenham; George The Poet; Nike+ Running; Hurts; Girls; The Frugality
Sunday 13 January 2013
Fashion: Quilty pleasures
Do winter warming well with British heritage brand Lavenham's quilted bomber jacket, as recently sported by David Beckham. The jacket deserves two ticks for bringing together two big trends, and a third for its signature contrast sleeve – plus it's part of a cool new collaboration between the brand and men's outfitters Casely Hayford. £395, doverstreetmarket.com
Face to watch: George The Poet
In 2012 this west-London bard supported Nas, fronted BBC adverts, and wowed YouTube audiences – and his 2013 looks no less auspicious, as he sets off with a sold-out show in the Royal Albert Hall's Elgar Room tomorrow.
Social networking: Match the tweet to the star
Jack Whitehall, Caggie Dunlop, Boy George, Charlotte Church
1. Wes Anderson films make me feel fucking fantastic about life. Love you Wes. Ta.x
2. Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.
3. Relax! 13 is my lucky number! x
4. Basket in front of me at Morrison: 50 bars of soap and 2 cans of corn. Cos you gotta be clean to enjoy the green giant
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch: Nike+ Running
So you're willing yourself to put away the pork scratchings and pound the pavement but struggling to make it beyond the garden patio? Then may we suggest this excellent running app, which includes all manner of ways to track your progress and gee yourself up of a cold winter's morn. Free from iTunes and Google Play stores
On the radar
Because some things are still worth getting excited about…
The joyfully overblown Manchester duo might just be about to break big with the stadium synth-pop of single "Miracle", which bodes deliciously for March's second album, Exile. bit.ly/VmUAvb
Good news all round vis-à-vis Lena Dunham's splendid comedy-drama. Series 1 comes to DVD on 4 February while Series 2 begins on Sky Atlantic tomorrow. Here's the trailer: bit.ly/VeL6UV
Internet: The Frugality
Should you find yourself in your annual financial funk, like us, you'll appreciate this lovely blog offering a guide to stylish dressing, dining and decorating on a budget. the-frugality.com
Match the tweet: 1. Charlotte Church; 2. Caggie Dunlop; 3. Boy George; 4. Jack Whitehall.
Life & Style blogs
How psychopaths hide in plain sight – a psychological analysis of serial killer Dennis Rader
Majority of UK women don't bathe or take a shower daily
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
How I rescued my brain: Psychologist David Roland rewired his thoughts following a stroke
Brit Awards 2015: Red carpet round up, from Paloma Faith to Ed Sheeran
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 Muslim women's rights campaigner writes heartfelt letter to girls thinking of joining Isis
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...