Agenda: Lavenham; George The Poet; Nike+ Running; Hurts; Girls; The Frugality
Sunday 13 January 2013
Fashion: Quilty pleasures
Do winter warming well with British heritage brand Lavenham's quilted bomber jacket, as recently sported by David Beckham. The jacket deserves two ticks for bringing together two big trends, and a third for its signature contrast sleeve – plus it's part of a cool new collaboration between the brand and men's outfitters Casely Hayford. £395, doverstreetmarket.com
Face to watch: George The Poet
In 2012 this west-London bard supported Nas, fronted BBC adverts, and wowed YouTube audiences – and his 2013 looks no less auspicious, as he sets off with a sold-out show in the Royal Albert Hall's Elgar Room tomorrow.
Social networking: Match the tweet to the star
Jack Whitehall, Caggie Dunlop, Boy George, Charlotte Church
1. Wes Anderson films make me feel fucking fantastic about life. Love you Wes. Ta.x
2. Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.
3. Relax! 13 is my lucky number! x
4. Basket in front of me at Morrison: 50 bars of soap and 2 cans of corn. Cos you gotta be clean to enjoy the green giant
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch: Nike+ Running
So you're willing yourself to put away the pork scratchings and pound the pavement but struggling to make it beyond the garden patio? Then may we suggest this excellent running app, which includes all manner of ways to track your progress and gee yourself up of a cold winter's morn. Free from iTunes and Google Play stores
On the radar
Because some things are still worth getting excited about…
The joyfully overblown Manchester duo might just be about to break big with the stadium synth-pop of single "Miracle", which bodes deliciously for March's second album, Exile. bit.ly/VmUAvb
Good news all round vis-à-vis Lena Dunham's splendid comedy-drama. Series 1 comes to DVD on 4 February while Series 2 begins on Sky Atlantic tomorrow. Here's the trailer: bit.ly/VeL6UV
Internet: The Frugality
Should you find yourself in your annual financial funk, like us, you'll appreciate this lovely blog offering a guide to stylish dressing, dining and decorating on a budget. the-frugality.com
Match the tweet: 1. Charlotte Church; 2. Caggie Dunlop; 3. Boy George; 4. Jack Whitehall.
Life & Style blogs
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
James Foley beheading: Twitter 'actively suspending' accounts sharing graphic imagery
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
£45000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Analyst (Financial Services, ...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: Application Support Engineer (C++, .NET, VB, Per...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Software Developer (Client-Side, SQL, VB...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Developer (...