Agenda: Olsen girls; Hannah Arterton; London's Roundhouse; Girls; Vintage Tea Party
Sunday 31 July 2011
Fashion: Olsens put their best feet forward
Those Olsen girls have got some fashion flair: their luxury label The Row narrowly missed out on an award from the Council of Fashion Designers of America earlier this year, and now they've announced a collaboration with footwear label Toms. Rendered in the brand's signature espadrille style, their line swaps the standard canvas material for soft, sumptuous Italian leather and snuggly cashmere. But just like any other pair of Toms, each purchase will be matched by the donation of a pair of shoes to children in the Third World. Available now, from £110, toms.co.uk
Face to watch: Hannah Arterton
Prepare for a sister act as the younger sibling of Hollywood starlet Gemma arrives on the thespian scene – just out of Rada, she's set to make her professional debut alongside Tracey Ullmann in Stephen Poliakoff's new play My City.
Lexpionage: Sigh-on-the-wall, adj.
A genre of television programming in which subjects are lmed continuously while rendering viewers paralytic with ennui – see Five's reboot of Big Brother/most of the BBC3 schedules
Social networking: Match the tweet to the star
David Lynch, Stuart Baggs, Zooey Deschanel, Roseanne Barr
1. I kinda just moved from one chair to another all day.
2. Dear Twitter Friends, I'm going to make 2 gray-violet shapes for long arms this weekend. What are you all going to do? Have a great weekend.
3. this is the age of insanity and terrorism. G-d help us all! we could have peace so easily!
4. Reading the top tweets for "Dear Taylor Swift" has caused me to instantly vomit over my keyboard.
Answers at the bottom of the page
App watch #29: Biophilia
Ever the state-of-the-art songstress, Björk has decided to unveil her new material via this digital "cosmos". Songs can be added as they are released in coming weeks via individual sub-apps, which will incorporate interactive games, audiovisual displays and academic essays. Free to download, then £1.49 per sub-app
On the radar: Because some things are still worth getting excited about...
Art: Curtain Call
Go full circle with this new installation by designer/artist Ron Arad at London's Roundhouse. A ring of 5,600 silicon rods, it will act as a canvas for films, music and performance. 9-29 August, roundhouse.org.uk
A ballad entitled "Vomit"? Such are the off-kilter ideas spewed up by this Californian psychedelic group, back with a glorious, gospel-flavoured freakout in advance of their second LP. ind.pn/qWYAcY
Food: Vintage Tea Party
Bring out the bone china for this book from vintage guru Angel Adoree, which features advice on holding a retro shindig alongside recipes for old-fashioned fancies including rose-petal sandwiches. £20, Mitchell Beazley
MATCH THE TWEET: 1. ZOOEY DESCHANEL; 2. DAVID LYNCH; 3. ROSEANNE BARR ; 4. STUART BAGGS
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Scottish salmon sales leap as Asia develops a taste
Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States thanks to Hooters, Twin Peaks and Tilted Kilt
Health: When masturbation can be fatal: The practice of auto-erotic asphyxia is often concealed by a coroner's verdict. Monique Roffey looks at a lethal taboo
- 1 The political parties aren't all the same – which means 2015 will be a 'big-choice' election
- 2 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...