Dresses: styled to the maxi
This summer, full-length and floaty doesn’t have to be boho, says Emma Akbareian
Sunday 26 May 2013
The maxi dress is a staple item in any 1970s-inspired wardrobe worth its rhinestones, and, with the decade providing inspiration this season for designers including Saint Laurent, Gucci and Diane Von Furstenberg, it’s firmly on trend. A floor-length dress has the potential to become one of the hardest-working items in your summer wardrobe, a versatile purchase that will look the part for the beach and summer barbecues as well as for the more formal events of the season.
With maxi dresses, height matters; those not blessed with Amazonian proportions should opt for chunky heels or otherwise visit a good tailor to achieve the right hem length. Conversely, flat sandals work best for the more statuesque among us as maxi means floor-skimming, anywhere above and you’re straying dangerously into overgrown teenager territory. A slim fit is key if you don’t want fabric billowing behind you.
Chiffon layers and pastel colours make for a very girly look, so balance out overtly feminine details with toughened-up accessories, such as chunky metal jewellery. Adding a tailored or denim jacket is also a good way to instantly complete the look. Bright colours can be a bold statement and with so much fabric it’s sensible to keep accessories neutral; the same rule applies for printed designs.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for auction...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 3 Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Scientists warn we've hit 'peak beard': The more people grow facial hair, the less attractive it is
£26K-30k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
£25K-28k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
£50000 - £65000 Per Annum potentially flexible for the right candidate: Clearw...
£38000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Do you have experience of ...