How To Be Beautiful: Dark circles under the eyes
Sunday 23 September 2012
Dark circles, unlike most beauty woes (fine lines, not-so-fine wrinkles, pervasive sagginess), aren't directly linked to ageing. It's perfectly possible to find someone in the full flush of youth with shadows beneath their lower lids.
Previously, I thought there was something pretty glamorous about a dark circle or – more likely – two. But that's probably due to a teenage literary diet of Jilly Cooper novels, where the foxier characters have "bruised, scabious-blue eyes" like "Botticelli angels who'd had too much nectar at lunchtime".
Unhappily, when those perky cherubic features disappear, dark circles rapidly begin to look less like the indicator of a white night of high jinks than the fact that you're well and truly knackered.
The bad news is that they're partly hereditary. More encouraging is that you'll improve matters by attending to your general health – less nectar at lunchtime, sorry – and using a good, brightening eye cream.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Ukip's official health spokesperson: 'Honestly, I have no experience in health whatsoever'
'Cigarettes, whisky, and wild, wild women'
Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
Doctors to trial 29-point checklist for elderly patients facing 'unavoidable' death
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 2 Mother of newborn Baby No 59 trapped in sewer pipe told Chinese police she 'heard crying' when she raised alarm
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
Super Package: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - SENIOR CLINICAL NEGLIGENCE - An outstan...
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...