How To Be Beautiful: Dark circles under the eyes
Sunday 23 September 2012
Dark circles, unlike most beauty woes (fine lines, not-so-fine wrinkles, pervasive sagginess), aren't directly linked to ageing. It's perfectly possible to find someone in the full flush of youth with shadows beneath their lower lids.
Previously, I thought there was something pretty glamorous about a dark circle or – more likely – two. But that's probably due to a teenage literary diet of Jilly Cooper novels, where the foxier characters have "bruised, scabious-blue eyes" like "Botticelli angels who'd had too much nectar at lunchtime".
Unhappily, when those perky cherubic features disappear, dark circles rapidly begin to look less like the indicator of a white night of high jinks than the fact that you're well and truly knackered.
The bad news is that they're partly hereditary. More encouraging is that you'll improve matters by attending to your general health – less nectar at lunchtime, sorry – and using a good, brightening eye cream.
Life & Style blogs
Versace haute couture review: Beautiful evening dresses are some of the loveliest Donatella has ever created
What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Minecraft: Story Mode trailer revealed with cast of stars
The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Greece debt crisis explained: A history of just how the country landed itself in such a mess
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
£16000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for individual...
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Project Coordinator is requir...
£40000 - £95000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Vehicle Inspectors / Pu...