How To Be Beautiful: It's all in the texture
Sunday 10 February 2013
No matter the style, it's the texture of your hair that ultimately sets the tone. A sleek bob means business, but the same cut artlessly ruffled up is more likely to suggest bed.
Though we spend a lot of time trying to put moisture into our hair with conditioner and treatments, it's the texture of ever-so-slightly dry hair that you'll want if you're to emulate some of the most appealing styles currently in evidence on the catwalk and red carpet.
Up-dos and fishtail plaits, for instance, have a rougher finish, putting the emphasis on modern rather than old-school glamour.
For the lazy or simply cack-handed, this leaves a pleasingly wide margin for error when styling your hair, though it's worth remembering that authentic bedhead hair usually creates the impression of deep psychological turmoil rather than cool insouciance.
So start with nice clean tresses and rough it up with a spray, cream or mousse depending on the level of hold you're after.
Life & Style blogs
Not brushing your teeth can lead to dementia and heart disease
Charlie Charlie Challenge: everyone on the internet thinks it’s a marketing stunt, but it probably isn’t
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Spanish restaurant El Celler de Can Roca reclaims top spot to be named world's best restaurant
Windows 10: apps and features killed off as Microsoft reveals limits of new operating system
- 1 Caitlyn Jenner's mother Ester thought her daughter, formerly known as Bruce Jenner, had transitioned for money
- 2 Charles Kennedy 1959-2015: A gifted, compassionate politician whose career was cut short by the 'demon drink' - latest news
- 3 Alton Towers crash: Four seriously injured and 16 guests trapped as Smiler ride carriages collide
- 4 Ann Summers survey reveals the UK's favourite sex position
- 5 Gay teenager 'forced to have sex with his own mother' to 'cure' his homosexuality, campaigners in India say
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is a solutions / s...
£18000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive is required t...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you inspired to bring new a...
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...