How To Be Beautiful: It's all in the texture
Sunday 10 February 2013
No matter the style, it's the texture of your hair that ultimately sets the tone. A sleek bob means business, but the same cut artlessly ruffled up is more likely to suggest bed.
Though we spend a lot of time trying to put moisture into our hair with conditioner and treatments, it's the texture of ever-so-slightly dry hair that you'll want if you're to emulate some of the most appealing styles currently in evidence on the catwalk and red carpet.
Up-dos and fishtail plaits, for instance, have a rougher finish, putting the emphasis on modern rather than old-school glamour.
For the lazy or simply cack-handed, this leaves a pleasingly wide margin for error when styling your hair, though it's worth remembering that authentic bedhead hair usually creates the impression of deep psychological turmoil rather than cool insouciance.
So start with nice clean tresses and rough it up with a spray, cream or mousse depending on the level of hold you're after.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
'Long Live the Nazis' spaghetti dish sold in Taiwan renamed after backlash
Common antibiotic linked to increased risk of heart disease
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 4 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - HIGHEST QUALITY INTERNATIONAL ...
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Relationship Manager, London, Banking, Accountant...
£15 - £17 per hour: Ashdown Group: Marketing & PR Assistant - Kentish Town are...
£250 - £300 per day: Orgtel: Senior Network Integration/Test Engineer Berkshir...