How to get the look: Sequins
Sunday 20 October 2013
Roll up, roll up! I take it the circus is in town?
Well, I suppose a scintillating pailleté here and there always has hints of the spectacular about it. And that's a large part of the appeal, actually.
Thinking of running away to join?
It's more that certain finishes and textures are a short-cut to glamour, although that isn't to say I'd endorse a sequinned gown. When applied to a garment that's a little more casual, however, you have a killer concoction of high and low. So you get some glitzy va-va-voom that ups your daytime look or a not-trying-too-hard- but-fabulous-nonetheless evening vibe.
So no 'Strictly'-style head-to-toe sequins with thigh slash then? Boring!
Sorry, you are going to have to exercise restraint on this one.Scandinavian brands do the low-key luxe as excellently as you'd expect; this gorgeous gilded jacket from Day Birger et Mikkelson (above, £310, mywardrobe.com) should be paired with plain and minimal pieces, such as smart black jeans.
Something a little less serious?
Jaeger's Boutique diffusion line has a cute 1960s-style black shift with sequinned flowers that would do a day-to-night transformable Barbie proud (£180, jaeger.co.uk). Just add heels at 8pm.
Life & Style blogs
Video shows how to turn your phone into a 3D hologram
The 'world's most beautiful vagina' has been debunked by science
Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 2 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 3 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks busy Dublin road
- 5 'Cool kids' can go on to become losers in later life, study finds
£20,781 to £24,057 per annum: East15 Acting School: The post involves general ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This role's responsibility also...
£26000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity fo...