Trip of a lifetime: Menswear returns to the 1970s
Autumn menswear returns to an era of rule-breakers, nonconformists and revolutionaries: the 1970s.
Saturday 02 October 2010
The tweed jacket
Back in the 1970s, coloured tweed offered a twist on the traditional countryside fabric. This time around, choose a discreet herringbone pattern and pair with a chambray shirt for an iconic look
The patterned shirt
Not the loud patterns of 1970s cliché. Subtle, abstract prints shirts give a modern feel to a vintage trend. The key is to look for patterns with very small motifs
The belted cardigan
A 1970s revival wouldn't be complete without a belted cardigan. Stick to plain colours and classic cable knits; Starsky & Hutch enthusiasts take note
The shearling coat
Once the preserve of Del Boy, the sheepskin – or shearling – overcoat is given a makeover. The fit across the shoulders and back should be as narrow as is practical
The quilted jacket
Popular in the 1970s, lightweight quilted jackets – another classic rural garment – were often cut from fabrics like satin. Not this time; cotton or nylon will suffice
GROOMING: SHARON IVE USING BUMBLE & BUMBLE
MODEL: RYAN AT NEXT
WITH THANKS TO WAGONWHEELS.TV
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 2 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 3 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 4 News agency criticised for describing Amal Clooney as 'actor's wife' in coverage of human rights trial
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
£28000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£22000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company's mission is to ma...
£13832 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This 5 star leisure destination on the w...
£20000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Account Manager is requ...