Marilyn Monroe dress sells for $313,000 at auction
Tuesday 15 June 2010
Telegraph reported that Marilyn Monroe's dress worn in
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes during her performance of the song "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" topped its expected price of $150,000-$250,000.
More than 1,500 items went on sale at a Hollywood auction house called Profiles in History June 10-12, with the strapless fuchsia number being the undisputed highlight.
Other lots included various Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz memorabilia, Mary Poppins' 'bottomless bag,' Edward's Scissorhands, and a collection of Elvis Presley's clothes.
Monroe's dress is the actress's most recognizable outfit, right after her risqué 'subway scene' number and the one she wore to sing Happy Birthday Mr President (previously sold at Christie's for $1.2 million).
According to auction house CEO, Joe Maddalena, a comparable outfit would be Audrey Hepburn's black number from Breakfast at Tiffany's (auctioned for $900,000). These dresses are not just "fun and cool," he said, "it's important. It's a cultural icon."
Life & Style blogs
Max power: Nine ways to make your everyday meals more flavourful
Amputee drummer gains 'superhuman' skills with robotic arm
Livr: A social network only for drunk people
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
International Women's Day 2014: Animated Google Doodle shows 80 second video of inspirational women from across the world
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...