Missoni hails 'unexpected success' for Target line
Monday 26 September 2011
Italian fashion house Missoni hailed the success of its low-cost line for US department store chain Target as an "unexpected success" on Sunday after the group's catwalk show in Milan.
"We really couldn't have imagined it. It was a very unexpected success," creative director Angela Missoni told reporters backstage after presenting the spring/summer 2012 collection in the picturesque courtyard of Milan University.
Missoni's trademark geometric-patterned knitwear was a defining feature of the collection and the colours were rich browns, purples and yellows in outfits reminiscent of Flamenco dancers or stylish South American soirees.
"It was really a southern inspiration," said Missoni, highlighting in particular the sparkling fringes, large shawls and ruffles from the show.
Missoni said the "Sunrise Birds" collection was meant to define a woman with "carefree sensuality" and the outfits were "asymmetric and mischievous".
The family business launched its 400-piece Target line earlier this month. Online demand for the collection quickly sent Target's website crashing and several pieces cropped up for resale on Internet auction site eBay.
With much of the womenswear priced under $50 (37 euros), Missoni for Target appealed to fashion-conscious but thrifty shoppers eager to save money in hard economic times. High-end Missoni dresses typically cost more than $1,000.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...