Mother of pearl shimmers at Armani show in Milan
Monday 26 September 2011
Giorgio Armani unveiled a new collection inspired by mother of pearl colours and the undulation of waves at Milan Fashion Week on Monday, reprising Versace's modern mermaids outfits.
The spring/summer 2012 designs had a shimmering quality that turned the fashion show into a maritime scene on a silvery night with shoals of fish swimming past as models in sparkling, silvery dresses took to the runway.
Italian fashion king Giorgio Armani met with attendees after the show including champion swimmers Ian Thorpe of Australia and Federica Pellegrini of Italy, as well as award-winning fashion photographer Bruce Weber.
Armani said in a statement that the collection - shown off at Armani's new minimalist headquarters in Milan - reflected "the sheen of mother-of-pearl, the iridescence that transforms colours into watery reflections."
The dresses - many of them strapless and wavy like shells - exuded "an utterly modern elegance that rejoices in gleaming silks and satins in aqueous and mineral colours nuanced between green and azure," Armani said.
The show culminated with a see-through dress that appeared to be covered in minute drops of water applied to a mesh base. Skirt lengths were demure - going down to knee or calf-length, and the trousers had slits down the front.
Life & Style blogs
Geeks who rocked the world: Documentary looks back at origins of the computer-games industry
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Miss Universe 2015: A beefeater, a yellow tree and an entire hockey game - the bizarre national costumes
- 1 Benedict Cumberbatch says Hollywood is better for black British actors: 'I think as far as coloured actors go it gets really difficult in the UK'
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
Super Package: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - SENIOR CLINICAL NEGLIGENCE - An outstan...
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...