Designers Rykiel, Jacobs made French knights
Friday 22 January 2010
Fashion notables Marc Jacobs and Nathalie Rykiel are now knights in France's Order of Arts and Letters.
ulture Minister Frederic Mitterrand bestowed the honor on the two, praising their contributions to the fashion world as Paris hosted menswear shows Friday.
Mitterrand called Jacobs, an American who heads couture lines including his own and is artistic director for Louis Vuitton, "an iconic designer, a gifted person, but also a hard worker."
Jacobs told The Associated Press, "It is one of the greatest honors and that is why I made a point in giving my speech, which I wrote myself and repeated all night, in French."
Designer Sonia Rykiel attended the ceremony. Her daughter Nathalie is president and artistic director of the family label.
Life & Style blogs
Everyone should watch this boy's reaction to learning he will be a big brother
No, a porn star wasn't tricked into performing a sex act on her brother
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Rafael Nadal strips off in racy new ads for Tommy Hilfiger
iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 4 Jozef Wesołowski: Former Catholic archbishop found dead ahead of child sexual abuse trial
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
£18000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive or Senior Sal...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This industry leading company produces h...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT provider for the educat...