Fashion: OBE for the woman who took over from McQueen
The fashion world is not without its pomp and ceremony, and the Queen's Birthday Honours provide a further occasion for celebration as Emma Hill, creative director of fashion company Mulberry, and Sarah Burton, the designer of Kate Middleton's wedding dress, receive recognition for services to the industry.
Ms Hill, who joined Mulberry in March 2008 after stints with Marks & Spencer and Burberry, was appointed CBE.
Her efforts had previously earned her Best Accessories Designer at the 2011 Elle Style Awards and Best Designer Brand at the 2010 British Fashion Awards.
Burton, who designed the gown of Prince William's bride, was appointed OBE. After much speculation, she was chosen to take over from her mentor Alexander McQueen, who died in 2010.
She promised to stay true to his legacy, crediting him with teaching her everything she knew.
"Everything I know I learned here. If you didn't know how to do something, Lee made you take on the challenge and would teach you how, or leave you to figure out how to do it yourself.
"He once handed over a bias-cut houndstooth dress and said, 'Now, put a zip in it', then left for the weekend," she once said of McQueen.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
The 10 Best new smartphones
Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan, accused of choosing sex of baby
Uncooked curry leaves caused mass outbreak of salmonella in Newcastle, say health officials
Stripes set to be big for Dolce and Gabbana as fashion designers get 20 months in prison for tax evasion
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...