Fashion: OBE for the woman who took over from McQueen
The fashion world is not without its pomp and ceremony, and the Queen's Birthday Honours provide a further occasion for celebration as Emma Hill, creative director of fashion company Mulberry, and Sarah Burton, the designer of Kate Middleton's wedding dress, receive recognition for services to the industry.
Ms Hill, who joined Mulberry in March 2008 after stints with Marks & Spencer and Burberry, was appointed CBE.
Her efforts had previously earned her Best Accessories Designer at the 2011 Elle Style Awards and Best Designer Brand at the 2010 British Fashion Awards.
Burton, who designed the gown of Prince William's bride, was appointed OBE. After much speculation, she was chosen to take over from her mentor Alexander McQueen, who died in 2010.
She promised to stay true to his legacy, crediting him with teaching her everything she knew.
"Everything I know I learned here. If you didn't know how to do something, Lee made you take on the challenge and would teach you how, or leave you to figure out how to do it yourself.
"He once handed over a bias-cut houndstooth dress and said, 'Now, put a zip in it', then left for the weekend," she once said of McQueen.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 Pornhub pleads with users to stop uploading videos of Brazil 'getting f**ked by Germany' in World Cup match
- 5 Give childhood back to children: if we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less
£45-£57k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
£36000 - £38000 per annum: Charter Selection: Charter Selection are working wi...
£25000 per annum: Charter Selection: Exciting sports company with a strong bra...