Fashion Update: A siren in her smalls
Thursday 18 August 1994
Smart siren that she is, the model-turned-actress commissioned the model-turned-photographer Ellen von Unwerth (who is credited with turning a Dusseldorf teenager called Claudia Schiffer into a latterday Bardot) to work on the project.
Filmed at the Plaza hotel in New York, the 60-second commercial sees Elle in her scanties opening her hotel bedroom door to put her room service tray out in the corridor when - whoops] - a gust of wind closes it behind her. Then the adventure begins.
Elle's commercial will no doubt make her lingerie company even more successful. Current turnover in Australia, Elle's mother country and base for the manufacturer, Bendon, is pounds 20m. The company employs 1,500 making Elle's line.
Right now the Elle Macpherson collection is available only in the Southern Hemisphere and the ad will be shown only in Australia. But a major London store is currently considering introducing Elle's smalls to the UK market. Watch this space.
Life & Style blogs
Three in every four British men will be overweight by 2030, says World Health Organisation
Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Helpdesk Analyst - Devon - £20,000 ...
£35000 - £50000 per annum + generous bonus: Ashdown Group: Business Analytics ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Project Coordinator (Software Dev...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...