Fashion Update: A siren in her smalls
Thursday 18 August 1994
Smart siren that she is, the model-turned-actress commissioned the model-turned-photographer Ellen von Unwerth (who is credited with turning a Dusseldorf teenager called Claudia Schiffer into a latterday Bardot) to work on the project.
Filmed at the Plaza hotel in New York, the 60-second commercial sees Elle in her scanties opening her hotel bedroom door to put her room service tray out in the corridor when - whoops] - a gust of wind closes it behind her. Then the adventure begins.
Elle's commercial will no doubt make her lingerie company even more successful. Current turnover in Australia, Elle's mother country and base for the manufacturer, Bendon, is pounds 20m. The company employs 1,500 making Elle's line.
Right now the Elle Macpherson collection is available only in the Southern Hemisphere and the ad will be shown only in Australia. But a major London store is currently considering introducing Elle's smalls to the UK market. Watch this space.
Life & Style blogs
New £3 pill that will help stop you drinking too much available on the NHS
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Revealed: Lidl’s £4 perfume smells identical to Chanel’s £70 scent - but the difference is in the bottle
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Multi-skilled graphic designer ...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + EXCELLENT: Austen Lloyd: Court of Protection Solic...