Gallery: Chanel finds a Scottish castle fit for King Karl
Wednesday 05 December 2012
Karl Lagerfeld seemed suitably at home in Scotland as he presided over Chanel's Metiers d'Art collection at Edinburgh's Linlithgow Palace, the ruined castle that was the birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots.
Lagerfeld spoke fondly of Scotland after the show and said the collection was "a mix of Coco Chanel and Mary Queen of Scots" and represented "the rebirth of her spirit". The romantic setting was fitting for models who walked within the castle walls with high, bejewelled hair and clothes fit for a queen. Quintessential Chanel tweeds were softened with full-length lace skirts and layered under Argyle and tartan-patterned knitwear.
This annual collection exhibits the fine craftsmanship of artisans under the Chanel umbrella, The most recent addition to this stable is Barrie Knitwear, the Scottish cashmere mill.
Life & Style blogs
How old is your heart? US research finds three out of four people have hearts five years older than their actual age
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
How to discover who your best friends are on WhatsApp - using a tool within the application
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
£16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This digital agency based in Ashford, Ke...
£19000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This recognized leader in providing software s...
£40000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...