Singing fashion phenomenon Lady Gaga is the number one 'buzzword' in fashion right now, according to the Global Language Monitor, whose team asked fashion experts around the world to nominate their top buzz phrases of the moment.
According to Millie L. Payack, director and fashion correspondent of GLM, it is the first time a name has topped the annual list.
Here are the 15 top-ranking buzzwords in the fashion media sphere right now:
1. Lady Gaga - "Enigmatic performance artist has had outsized impact on the world of fashion."
2. Leggins 2.0 - "Flourishing from Milano to Main Street, leggings are now differentiated as jeggings (jeans + leggings) and meggings (male leggings), and the like."
3. No pants - "Hot pants for the 21st Century; not much pant (see Lady GaGa)."
4. Off-shoulder - "One shoulder and Off-the-shoulder asymmetrics are now combined with cutouts, draping, or heritage stylings."
5. Chandeliers - "Earrings, that is."
6. Boyfriend (the jacket, jeans etc) - "It's getting to be like an Audrey Hepburn movie out there with boyfriend jackets, jeans and the like."
7. Peek-a-boo - "Peek-a-boo fashion is back once again; this time as cutouts."
8. Camos - "Camouflage is back, this time with an Urban Jungle vibe."
9. Hippie-luxe - "Haute Hippies? That's the Hippie Luxe movement inspired by the 40th anniversary of that classic New York Daily News headline: "600,000 Hippies Mired in Mud.""
10. Armadillos - "Shaped like a lobster, made of Python, and called Armadillos - the highly controversial sculpted shoe designs of Alexander McQueen."
11. Mixed prints - "Mixing various print in sometimes surprising ways: florals, tropicals, geometrics, polka dots, psychedelics, modernism-inspired, even plaids."
12. Embellishments - "Delicate, all, including ruffles, transparency and tulle."
13. Ethical fashion - "Echoes of PETA here. No furs, no armadillos, no leather."
14. Fashion 2.0 - "Incorporating streaming techniques that bring designer showcases and shows to the buyers and consumers in real time."
15. MObama - "OK, so she wears ‘mom' jeans, but everyone seems to notice, after all Michelle is The Mobama."
The ranking was based on the Global Language Monitor's Predictive Quantities Index, which tracks words and phrases in the media. The site will release its list of Top Fashion Cities of the Year in July.Reuse content