Springtime comes early to Dior's Paris
Tuesday 22 January 2013
Even though there was snow on the ground in Paris yesterday, fashion was in full bloom.
For his second Dior couture collection, shown in the Tuilerie Gardens, designer Raf Simons was in touch with nature. "I wanted to do a very self-explanatory collection this season" Simons said. "I wanted it to be about the very idea of spring."
An audience which included Sigourney Weaver and Jessica Alba saw models appearing from the ground and strolling through privet hedges with clothes that blossomed with multi-layered floral embroideries.
Simons showed off the craft the Paris ateliers are famous for with intricate jewelled embellishment reminiscent of blossoming cherry trees and fluttering silk petals on the bodices of dresses.
The simplicity of the idea belied the complexity of its execution.
Life & Style blogs
Childcare 'not just a women's issue,' says shadow minister as she sets out her 'dadifesto'
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Scottish salmon sales leap as Asia develops a taste
Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States thanks to Hooters, Twin Peaks and Tilted Kilt
Health: When masturbation can be fatal: The practice of auto-erotic asphyxia is often concealed by a coroner's verdict. Monique Roffey looks at a lethal taboo
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...