Springtime comes early to Dior's Paris
Tuesday 22 January 2013
Even though there was snow on the ground in Paris yesterday, fashion was in full bloom.
For his second Dior couture collection, shown in the Tuilerie Gardens, designer Raf Simons was in touch with nature. "I wanted to do a very self-explanatory collection this season" Simons said. "I wanted it to be about the very idea of spring."
An audience which included Sigourney Weaver and Jessica Alba saw models appearing from the ground and strolling through privet hedges with clothes that blossomed with multi-layered floral embroideries.
Simons showed off the craft the Paris ateliers are famous for with intricate jewelled embellishment reminiscent of blossoming cherry trees and fluttering silk petals on the bodices of dresses.
The simplicity of the idea belied the complexity of its execution.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
As Kellie Maloney has experienced, when you're transgender, strangers think it's OK to ask intimate questions – it's not
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: UNIX Application Support Analyst-...