Why handbag contents are getting lighter
Wednesday 13 January 2010
The average weight of the contents of a handbag has fallen by more than half, research revealed today.
The majority of women's handbags now weigh around 3.3lb, 57 per cent less than the average of two years ago.
A new generation of smaller, lighter multi-purpose gadgets such as the iPhone and BlackBerry have replaced heavy laptops, old-fashioned mobile phones and Filofaxes, research from Debenhams claimed.
Sue Tebbitts, handbag buyer at Debenhams, said: "Two years ago, women were carrying around 7.3lb, the equivalent of three and a half bags of sugar, everywhere they went.
"Finally the burden placed upon working women is falling and it's all thanks to technology."
But the greatest percentage of weight is still taken up by perennial favourites such as make-up, mirror, purse, tissues, perfumes, sanitary products, brushes, toothpaste, receipts, address books and headache pills
Life & Style blogs
Surgeon backs 'good death' plans - and reveals his own
NHS hit by stealth cuts of £2bn as tariffs received for medical procedures are reduced
How to survive a social-media mauling, by the tough women of Twitter
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 1 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 2 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 3 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 4 The most powerful passports in the world
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
£26000 - £28000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Senior Accounts Assistan...
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£22000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is part of a Group...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a a young, dynamic pers...