A breath of fresh air
What’s your idea of the perfect beer garden? Is it beside the sea or in the heart of the city or countryside? Help us find the best and you could win a VIP trip for two to Ibiza
Thursday 28 July 2011
English summers were made for spending time with friends drinking beer in the open air. And what better place to do that than in a pub garden? Pub and beer expert Jane Peyton is touring around the country hunting for the best outdoor drinking spots for enjoying a glass of San Miguel, Spain’s leading quality lager.
Newcastle is our latest destination in Jane’s suggestions for The San Miguel Summer Shortlist. For the ideal summer day out, hop on a bus to the village of Newburn on the outskirts of the city and explore the Tyne Riverside Country Park on foot, bicycle or horseback.
Your reward for being so energetic is even more fresh air enjoyed in the garden of the Keelman Public House. This beer garden is a sunny spot comprising a large patio of wooden tables with or without umbrellas, sheltered by trees and beautified with flowers and greenery. No need to leave the children at home as this pub has an adventure playground too, so the grown-ups can refresh themselves with a glass of beer as the little ones gambol on the climbing frames. And it’s the perfect Sunday setting with its all day roast lunch washed down with a San Miguel.
"It's a child-friendly pub and my favourite place to go for a Sunday lunch" - Susan Mitchell (pub regular)
- Keelman’s Lodge & Public House, Grange Rd, Newburn, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE15 8NL
- Tel: 0191 267 1689
- Mon-Sat 11am-11pm; Sun 12pm-10.30pm
- Sunday roast served all day
- Named for the boatmen who transported coal along the Tyne.
Win a VIP trip to Ibiza
Summer is here and to celebrate San Miguel is on a mission to find Britain’s best beer gardens. But we also want to hear from you. Simply tell us about your favourite outdoor drinking spot and you could win an unforgettable VIP trip for two to Ibiza. To get involved, join us on Facebook and you can start dreaming about that island in the sun. Visit www.independent.co.uk/sanmiguel to enter.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Round The World Experts: L...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£16K Base + Uncapped Commission): Flight Centre L...
£2000 - £25500 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: We are seeking an ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...