Argentina sweeps international wine awards
Thursday 08 September 2011
Oenophiles may well want to consider bypassing old standbys like French and Italian wine shelves and travel to the Argentinean aisle following that country's performance at a prestigious international wine competition this week.
The South American country emerged as the wine-producing nation to watch at the Decanter World Wine Awards in London, Wednesday, where its wineries took home six international trophies - the most wine awards of any single country in that category and a first for the competition.
Among new world wines, New Zealand also took home three international trophies, followed by Australia which scooped up two awards.
Argentina's first win of the night went to Etchart for its Pivado Torrontes which won for best Dry Aromatic Under £10 (€11.50) followed by Terrazas de los Andes for its Seleccion Torrontes. The winery is owned by Moet-Hennessy.
Other award-winning wineries included:
- Argento for its Bonarda 2010
- Bodegas Dos Andes for Chalten Malbec Coleccion 2009
- Mendoza for its Finca Sophenia
It was also a big night for Argentinean wine producer Vinalba, a winery that was founded just three years ago in 2008 and won its third international award for its Patagonian Cabernet Merlot.
For full results, visit http://www.decanter.com/dwwa .
Life & Style blogs
This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
My life as a Jew in wartime Berlin: How I outwitted the Gestapo
Tinder Plus: premium service launches, charging much more for those over 28
Running test reveals whether you will die in the next decade
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 1 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 2 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
iJobs Food & Drink
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Qualified Lifeguards are required to join a fa...
£19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Based in South Kensington, this prestigi...
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£25000 - £33000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Partner is required to ...