Bites: Pull up a tweed, old chap
Sunday 19 April 2009
With many eateries struggling, this might not seem the ideal moment to enter the restaurant trade. But with spring in the air, it is all about new beginnings as a clutch of establishments open their doors.
Literary types and royals alike should both feel at home in Marylebone's The Swan and Edgar, a thoroughly British affair boasting a bar built from second-hand books, seating fashioned from recycled tweeds and a menu stuffed with hearty, old-school fare.
Meanwhile, slick pub/dining-room The Fellow (pictured) is offering Anglo-French cuisine appropriate to its location near St Pancras's Eurostar terminal, and Ramsay protégé Bjorn van der Horst is to go it alone next month with The Eastside Inn in Farringdon.
Reassuring to know, too, that at least one new patron is mindful of our shrinking wallets – in Belfast, the Michelin-starred Kevin Thornton has just set up kitchen at the five-star Fitzwilliam Hotel, emphasising that his "great food" will be "keenly priced".
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
Anti-depressants can change how the brain works in just hours
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
The 'Angelina Jolie effect': Her mastectomy revelation doubled NHS breast cancer testing referrals
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...