Bites: Pull up a tweed, old chap
Sunday 19 April 2009
With many eateries struggling, this might not seem the ideal moment to enter the restaurant trade. But with spring in the air, it is all about new beginnings as a clutch of establishments open their doors.
Literary types and royals alike should both feel at home in Marylebone's The Swan and Edgar, a thoroughly British affair boasting a bar built from second-hand books, seating fashioned from recycled tweeds and a menu stuffed with hearty, old-school fare.
Meanwhile, slick pub/dining-room The Fellow (pictured) is offering Anglo-French cuisine appropriate to its location near St Pancras's Eurostar terminal, and Ramsay protégé Bjorn van der Horst is to go it alone next month with The Eastside Inn in Farringdon.
Reassuring to know, too, that at least one new patron is mindful of our shrinking wallets – in Belfast, the Michelin-starred Kevin Thornton has just set up kitchen at the five-star Fitzwilliam Hotel, emphasising that his "great food" will be "keenly priced".
Life & Style blogs
How Stephen Hawking is still alive, defying ALS and the worst expectations
More than two thirds of smokers are killed by diseases caused by tobacco use, says study
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
The best Oscar dresses of all time
The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 1 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 2 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 3 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 The jihadi girls who went to Syria weren't just radicalised by Isis — they were groomed
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£25000 - £33000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Partner is required to ...
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...