Bites: Pull up a tweed, old chap
Sunday 19 April 2009
With many eateries struggling, this might not seem the ideal moment to enter the restaurant trade. But with spring in the air, it is all about new beginnings as a clutch of establishments open their doors.
Literary types and royals alike should both feel at home in Marylebone's The Swan and Edgar, a thoroughly British affair boasting a bar built from second-hand books, seating fashioned from recycled tweeds and a menu stuffed with hearty, old-school fare.
Meanwhile, slick pub/dining-room The Fellow (pictured) is offering Anglo-French cuisine appropriate to its location near St Pancras's Eurostar terminal, and Ramsay protégé Bjorn van der Horst is to go it alone next month with The Eastside Inn in Farringdon.
Reassuring to know, too, that at least one new patron is mindful of our shrinking wallets – in Belfast, the Michelin-starred Kevin Thornton has just set up kitchen at the five-star Fitzwilliam Hotel, emphasising that his "great food" will be "keenly priced".
Life & Style blogs
Surgeon backs 'good death' plans - and reveals his own
NHS hit by stealth cuts of £2bn as tariffs received for medical procedures are reduced
How to survive a social-media mauling, by the tough women of Twitter
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
iJobs Food & Drink
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: An MI Developer is needed to join the leading provide...
£20000 - £22500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leisure organisation manag...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Delivering an inspiring, engagi...
£17500 - £20500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for a great te...